If you’re planning to train people to include video clips in the form of ‘pieces to camera’ in their digital story or ’short’, there’s a lot people need to learn:
– how to feel comfortable and come across as well as they can on camera
– how to say something that’s engaging for the viewer
– how to set the camera up to record video
– how to set the camera up to record audio
– how to frame their shot and not move or zoom the camera
– the possible importance of taking covering shots and to tell the full story in the overall visual narrative
– etc., etc.
– how to review and check everything before deciding all necessary rushes are there and that ‘it’s a wrap’.
You’ll probably need to allow at least a day for all that.
Written and first published by Gareth Morlais on 24 December 2007.